May 22, 2011

Easy Clutch Purse Tutorial


This is the easiest tutorial for a clutch purse I have ever seen.  If you can sew a straight line you can make this!


 Maggie from Midwestern Sewing Girl  did a fabulous, easy, tutorial on making ruffled clutches.  You don't have to be a seamstress to make these, Maggie's directions are spot on!

I rustled up my vintage fabrics and had a ball making these.

This was made from a vintage bed cover.


 This one was made from a pillow case that had a hole in it, but the cross stitch portion was perfect. I ran a ruffle along the bottom...OHHH I love my new ruffler sewing foot!


These are large clutches that measure 12 X 8 when finished, they are much bigger than a cosmetic bag.

Here is one from a vintage table cloth


With a lace flower and rose button center.


Are you getting the gist of how fun these are to make?  They are velcro closing and you can line them with a corresponding fabric.


This was made with vintage pillow ticking and a graphic from Graphics Fairy that I printed onto fabric and attached to the clutch with thermo web, an iron on facing.


Here's the beauty of Maggies tutorial you can make this clutch any size you want. 

While I was putting the clutches in my booth at Orange Tree a college girl was there and said "Oh, I wish this was big enough for a computer" hello, I can do that.


I made a computer bag by enlarging the pattern.  I used a quilted fabric to give the computer a little cushion. 


If you ever see something on my blog that you can't live without, just send me an e mail.


This seriously will take you less than an hour to make from start to finish, of course that does not include the time you will spend hemming and hawing over which fabrics, lace, and embellishments to use...... the fun part.

I priced the clutches at $15.00 and they are already selling.  

I see more clutches in my future!

Have you entered my Cottage Charm Giveaway?

Happy Creating
Carol


I am linking up with
Sew Much Ado Did it Wednesday


27 comments:

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Your clutches are so pretty ~
I love the idea for computers too :)

xoxo
Lori

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Ohhh I just thought about Ipad and Kindle holders too ~ those would be wonderful!

Rona Gregory said...

Hi Carol these are lovely! BTW Lovely Man assembled my book cases today in the studio and I cut up all the packing boxes, and carefully folded and wrapped all my fabrics around the pieces of card! You were SO right... took a while, but SO worth it! Now I just have to tidy up the rest of the stuff ha ha!

Debbiedoos said...

Those are cute Carol. I can't sew a straight line though, so that rules me out for this creative idea.

Anonymous said...

how cool is this,, you have some mighty fine vintage fabric stash,,

Anonymous said...

Carol these are just beautiful! I would love to share this post on my Discovering Beauty segment this week - I will link back to you. Would that be ok?

bee blessed
mary

Angela said...

Those clutches are so cute, I always misplace my glasses, with these I can make a small one and keep it with me with a clip or string to keep my spectacles in, so I will never loose them again.
I love the mix of fabrics you have.
Thanks for sharing.
oxox
Angela.

Dina said...

They look awesome Carol! I especially like the yellow one out of the old bed cover and the flower on the table cloth clutch is really neat!!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Carol,
These are adorable and I can see why they are selling already. You clever girl, you. What a great idea to make one for the laptop!

When will you be starting your new design show on HGTV!!!!

hugs
Sissie

Susan said...

Those clutches are very pretty! I am interested in knowing how you print the graphics on fabric?

Anonymous said...

thanks for visiting,, I'll post it framed tommorow,,love the beauties above,,

Maggie Massey said...

Oh Carol! How lovely your clutches are! I adore them...
Thank you so so much for highlighting my tutorial...your wonderful creations have blown me away...

Scrap for Joy said...

These bags are so cute and unique! I have a large collection of vintage dresser scarves and pillow cases...I must look at them with new eyes!
xoxo
Joyce

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Carol, Carol, Carol...
You just wear me out with all your creative ideas!
I'm going back to bed.. LOL!!
Warmly,
deb :)

Anonymous said...

Those are cute! I love the embroidered one. A few years ago, I used to sew little cosmetic pouches, and they always did well. I think it's these small, usable things that people know are handmade that they like to buy. They are different than what we see in the store, plus handmade just holds up better. Keep sewing because I'm sure you'll keep selling! Plus it gives you a good chance to play with your fabric doesn't it? Goodness knows I need to make a bigger dent on my fabric stash!

Happy Monday!

Vicki said...

Carol these are so stinkin' cute! I really love them.

Unknown said...

Carol, I agree, you need a show on HGTV. You should video tape tese tutorials and send them in, I bet they would put them on the air. We will all write to them and demand it! I used to love the older shows where they showed us how to do stuff, Kitty Bartholomew, Decorating with Style, Country Style. This stuff today is not nearly as interesting, all real estate stuff.

bikim said...

they are so pretty!
love the details!
thanks for sharing,
take care,
Rosa

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

They are really precious! I love the design and the colors you're using! ♥

Lisa Russell said...

Love these!! You are SO creative!

Bring Pretty Back said...

Carol, ok... I can not sew a straight line. I can not sew any kind of line!
These clutches are going to be HOT sellers for you. Price is great and you can make them in under an hour. Not to mention... you can get so creative!
Thank you so much for your comment tonight on the blog!!! I am working hard!
Have a pretty day~
Kristin

Createology said...

Great bags. I love your vintage fabric choices. Isn't it wonderful when you can make things that others love. Happy sewing...

Debbie said...

I love these and can't wait to show my daughters this post.

Me said...

Carol I love these! And I'm super excited about the memorial weekend sale. I'm going to try to come either Friday or Saturday! I've been gushing about it for weeks now :) Hope to see you and your gorgeous booth soon!

Decor To Adore said...

I can't even pick a favorite as I love each and every one! So, I am off to play with my fabrics. :)

Emanuela @ My Little Inspirations said...

Carol, if you visit my blog you'll find a surprise for you...

Emanuela
http://my-littleinspirations.blogspot.com

Maki said...

Hi Carol, thanks for the comment. I made the first clutch-bag for myself and took it to a ladies luncheon, just because I didn't want to carry a large purse. the ladies across the table wanted to see it. they wanted to know if I would make them to sale? I thought, why not, so came home with 8 orders!...and sold the one I had with me! Then I five more to my "Coffee Group". Everyone just loves it and they all say "the flower is what really makes it eye-catching". So I put ruffles and flowers on all I make. Thanks my friend, for a great idea!!! Hugs, Maki